Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Sarcasm that Burns Within



I recently mused with Boaz, the Mad Monk, that sarcasm seems to have a way of communicating ideas better than actual knowledge. He understood that, because he is deep. Here's the thing - there is a new website from the United Church called the Wonder Cafe and Mad Monk has, rightfully, attracted quite a following - or perhaps loathing - for asking good questions, sometimes sarcastically.

Is sarcasm necessary to cut through the amount of BS in the world today?

Or - to put it in a way my right qwing sisters and brothers might understand - What Would Jesus Say Sarcastically (WWJSS for short)How about "Oh yeah Peter, step out of the boat 'snicker snicker'"

Okay - but seriously, the problem I have witb being sarcastic about ti all is that I really love religion. I really love faith, I really love the church. At least, I love all those thigns when we are talking about their best possible expression.

More often than not, though, religion is used to justify silly things like homophobia and racism. Faith is used to determine who is in and who is out, and the church is so busy navel gazing that it fails to see wher eit can be relevant in the real world.

I am, like most of my generation, searching for a way to make a real difference in the world. I want to live differently, I want to act differently, I want to be different (but I still want an Xbox 360, a home in the Carribean, and some staff) But is it possible to be different, change and make a difference? or do we just keep becoming who we always were?

Sorry to ask so many questions - I am just in that type of mood.

So here is where I end up. What does it mean to be religious today? I do not think that it measn that we have accepted Jesus into our hearts. I certainly never have when you start throwing it around like that. I have accepted that the creative fofrce of the universd, who I choose to call God, has somehow kept this whole ball of wax rolling. That means, whether thought out ahead of time or not, there is a plan, a right and wrong way to have the universe unfold... I am trying to be part of the "right way" that is what I mean by religious. If things work out - perhaps I am also saved.

Enough of a rant for one night... Good Night and Good Luck

1 comment:

Mad Monk said...

I am a wonderful and wonder-filled human being.

For the record. :-)